BUFFALO, N.Y. — The accused gunman in a racist massacre at a Buffalo supermarket earlier this year has agreed to plead guilty to a raft of state charges, according to two family members of victims.
Garnell Whitfield Jr., who lost his 86-year-old mother, Ruth, in the May 14 attack that killed 10 people at Tops supermarket, said on Thursday that he had been informed that the suspect, Payton Gendron, would plead guilty on Monday. Zeneta Everhart, whose son was wounded but survived the attack, also confirmed that a plea had been reached.
Mr. Whitfield thanked authorities for their work on the case, but expressed some sadness that a trial would not be held to illustrate the broader forces — including social media — that are said to have influenced the gunman.
“He’s a non-issue for me, he’s guilty of having done what he’s accused of,” said Mr. Whitfield, citing the gun industry’s influence as well. “Thoseare the things that we want to shine light on and expose.”
Kaitlyn Munro, a spokeswoman for John Flynn, the Erie County district attorney, would not confirm the plea, citing a gag order, but said that the suspect would appear in court in Buffalo on Monday afternoon.